Changing jobs, ending a specific email account, or just wanting a copy of all emails might be why you need to archive emails. Using Google Takeout, you can backup and export your Gmail, Google Apps, and other Google accounts for various reasons. Backups of your accounts are a good idea in general, so you might want to set it up that way. Let’s see How to back up your Gmail.
Your company may have disabled Takeout if you are backing up a company account. It’s possible to back up your Gmail with third-party apps, but check your company’s policies before you try that.
Learn More | How to move all your data to your new iPhone
A GUIDE TO BACKING UP YOUR GMAIL:
- Go to myaccount.google.com
- Choose “Manage your data and personalization” from Privacy & personalization.
- Click on “Download your data.” Scroll down until you see “Download your data.”
- On the following page, you will find Google Takeout. The first step is to click on “Deselect all” to download only your Gmail.
- If you want to include the Mail app (and any other apps you want to back up), scroll down to “Select data to include.”
- Click the button next to the checkbox. It has a button marked “Multiple formats” – click on that button to see which format will be used to download your data. If you only wish to download specific categories, select the option that says “All mail data included.”
- Next, click “Continue.”
- Choose from the options listed underneath “Delivery method” to see how you want to receive your data, such as sending a download link via email or adding it to your Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Box.
- Additionally, you can export just one time or every two months (for a year) and choose the type of file. When the file size reaches your maximum, it will be split into multiple files; if the file size exceeds 2GB, it will be compressed using the zip64 format. Once you’re ready to create the export, click “Create export.”
- You’ll begin the export process. You might have to wait a while before the export is complete. It is also possible to cancel exports or create new ones.